Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dear Post-Texting Me

Dear Post-Texting Me,

So you got a new phone. And this one's quite a bit fancier than the last one, which now thrusts you into the world of texting. So before you start losing your etiquette brain cells one by one, I thought I would write you a letter of texting turnoffs in case you forget who you are.

1. The people around you matter. And everyone feels more attended to when there is eye contact. Don't lose the relationships around you to meaningless chitchat with someone hundreds of miles away.

2. If you're doing things with people, like playing a game, then PLAY THE GAME! Nothing is more annoying than sitting there reminding Texting Tommy when it's his turn. Plus, he's not adding to the fun, the humor, or the experience of playing together. Do not let that be you. If you're bored around people, then be the one to make it fun.

3. Don't text while you drive. Period.

4. Talk to strangers. Remember when you used to talk to people in the store, at the doctor's office, or at the park? Those are the moments you treasured as a missionary--talking to strangers about what the Gospel had to offer them. Don't let yourself fill all of those precious moments that can become small miracles with trivial phone games or conversations. God needs something to work with.

5. dont forget how 2 use punctuation and real words in real life


Remember who you were!

the Pre-Texting Me
(written on January 10, 2010)

2 comments:

Cailean said...

This is great :) We don't have texting but I have been in or seen all of those situations!!!

Belkycita said...

Did you get an IPhone????!!

I still don't understand how you can text and drive at the same time. I tried talking on my phone and driving once, and it was crazy!!