Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Danger of Homonyms

Homonyms, at least as 2 year olds view them, can put a twist on all sorts of daily conversations.

For instance, "getting dressed" to a 2-year old girl means "putting on a dress." Anything but was entirely unacceptable.

Or, "Do you wanna play soccer, Leni?"
"Sucker?"
"Soccer."
"Sucker. Okay!"

Here's one that always gets me. "Are you hungry, Lanes?"
"Mommy, eat?"
"Okay. Mommy's cooking."
"Cookies. Okay. Cookies."

And her most recent mix up is when we take Cledi to the hospital for physical therapy once a week and we get to ride the "alligator" up to the second floor. She says "Chomp! Chomp!" and makes alligator jaw motions with her hands.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

That's great, Kori!! I can TOTALLY relate to the sucker thing!! It's amazing how many words sound like sucker to kids!! Ken and I were busting a gut!! Love you guys!

Anna Beal said...

Funny kid! I think we had the "alligator one" goin on with Dejah a long time ago.

The Fish's said...

I need some 2 year old humor around here. When a teenager says "sucker" they usually mean sucker!