Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Perspective

If you want to see the worst that Chicago has to offer, just watch the nightly news.

If you want to see the best that Chicago has to offer, however, just spend the night in the airport with a young baby.

Nash and I missed our connection flight in Chicago the other night (due to bad weather) and had to wait until morning to catch a different flight. Although we could have gotten a hotel for around $40, I didn't want to take a shuttle 20 minutes out into the snow and sleet and risk bad snow in the morning and not getting back to the airport. So we got comfortable and spent the night!

People were so amazing! One of the workers at Aunt Annie's pretzels found me and gave me a sack of leftover pretzel-dogs and some juice that she was planning on bringing home to her kids. Another lady stopped and offered to buy me a blanket or a pillow. Even after I told her that we were fine, she continued to ask questions to see how she could help us out. Eventually she even offered cash for a hotel. Of course, I helped her understand that I had money, but I just didn't want to take Nash out there without a carseat. I was really impressed with how sweet and insistent she was in making sure that we were going to be fine.

We didn't sleep a ton that night, but it was a cool experience to see all of the good that exists in this world... and even in Chicago.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That is one of the BEST posts I've ever read! Thanks Kori! It is so heart warming to hear about the good people do in this world for once.

Belkycita said...

How nice, now did you really eat the pretzels that were going to some little hungry children?

Just kidding!!! oh I miss you guys.

Kori said...

Actually, Belky, you will be surprised at this. They were actually pretzel hotdogs, and I felt grateful enough that she was willing to come find me to give them to me, that I, Kori, ME ate a hotdog. I don't know how long it's been---but it's definitely been years at the least!

Cailean said...

Kori, what an awesome reminder about the goodness of people. The world can seem so disheartening and yet the simplest of kind acts can make such a wonderful impact on our souls. I would love to see what a pretzel hotdog looks like. And I hear ya - hotdogs are one of the last things I'd want to eat but I'd sure do so if someone was so kind like that.